Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Face Painting

So, we really haven't been up to much lately -- getting school supplies, backpacks, and school books and doing a little shopping before we start school. I'm not really ready for school to start but most of the kids are. I'm trying to get everything organized and ready for the first day. I only have Bethany left to get books for and I am considering using Calvert for her as it provides everything we will need for the whole year in a box -- even down to the pencils and glue. I think she would love getting the big box in the mail with so much stuff in it. We have used Calvert before and the kids seem to enjoy it. 

Sarah has been restricted in her activities since her surgery. She is not suppose to climb trees, ride her bike or play on the rope swing. Of course, these are the things she likes best. I don't think the restriction is related much to the existing blood clot but more due to her blood thinner medication. So, I have been trying to think of projects and activities for her and the other kids to do so she won't be so bored. She just wants to go out and climb a tree but I just can't let her. So, we have made the fairy jars, then we painted plates and mugs  -- actually drew on them with Sharpie pens then baked them, and today Zola painted some of the kids' faces. They actually looked kind of cute and Zola enjoyed painting and the others enjoyed being painted. 

I have no idea what to do next -- I am not really into crafts but I am trying to learn to enjoy them a little more since Sarah spends so much time inside now  -- we do take her for walks and she plays a little but so misses the tree climbing and her rope swing. 














12 comments:

  1. What FUN! You have quite an artist there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very creative or artistic either and honestly do not enjoy the mess that comes with project that are.

    How about doing some baking? Or course, that would heat up your house. Could they make up some busybox type activities for Bella and Allysen to do when they come home?

    Scrapbooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mess is also a problem for me, but I also don't know what to do with most of the stuff after the fun of making it is over -- so much junk all over the house. I think that is why I liked the fairy jars -- simple and not much mess and then after it is over you just wash out the jars and there is no junk all over the house.

      Baking is good and we have done right much of that, but I think we will do more as fall comes. The busybox activity is something I never thought of and sounds like a good idea. Maybe we will do that. The kids would probably think it was fun, too. Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
    2. I know, after they are doing with their creations I never know what to do with them. They add up fast in a big family but I can't keep everything forever!

      I ususally have my mom do the crafts and let her take them home or do crafts that can be taken outside (handprint stones with jewels and other things embedded into them) or playdoh outside on the porch (they could do clay animals...I think they can be baked after being sculptured?).

      For the busy boxes, there are ideas and links in this post: http://theblessingofverity.com/2010/09/starting-school-ii/

      Maybe it will give you ideas :)

      Delete
    3. I could deal with clay animals -- maybe we will do that. I will also check out the blog for busy boxes. I already read the blessing of verity so I will go and check out the post on busy box ideas. Thanks.

      Delete
    4. There are a ton of ideas on pinterest...I just looked up toddler busy box/bag activities.

      Delete
    5. I'll look on pinterest -- that's where I got the fairy jar idea and the plate painting idea. I just need to look up busy box/bag activities. Thanks for that suggestion. I have been looking up autumn projects for kids and can't seem to find that much I like. Of course, I hadn't thought of the busy box idea until you mentioned it.

      Delete
  3. Love the face painting! Wow, that's fantastic work by Zola.

    I liked how these boys made personalized paintings for the bedroom of their little sister who was being adopted. Maybe the kids could work together to make a painting for each of Allysen and Bella.

    http://www.yourlovewillcarryme.blogspot.com/2012/07/laineys-roomand-fundraiser.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I looked at the art work and it was really a great idea. Maybe we will think about something like that. I haven't started the room for the girls yet so I guess I better get busy.

      Delete
  4. Hi

    My name is Jenna. Your girls are a brave courageous fighter. your girls are a special miracle from god, a gift from above, earthly angel,and you are a smilen hero. Your girls are full of happiness, life, smiles, joy, fun,love, and spunk.


    I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and have 14 other medical conditions, and developmental delays.

    I wrote this poem
    Each of us are Special
    Each of us different,
    No one is the same
    Each of are us are unique in our own way,
    Those of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
    Those who of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
    It doesn't matter what others say
    we are special anyway.
    What is forty feet and sings? the school chior
    http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, God bless you and thank you so much for your encouraging words. People with a heart like yours are an inspiration to others. I thank you.

      Delete