Friday, December 11, 2020

The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas - Day 11

Today our special thing was to take jars of candy to the employees of McDonald's. We filled 3 jars with Christmas candy and drove up there early in the evening and handed them through the drive-through. They have the nicest workers at the one near us and they are so friendly. The girls had fun giving the candy and we will go again tomorrow to give some to the morning workers. 

We had actually planned on going ice skating as our special thing today, but it ended up there were too many people at the rink. The kids are hoping another day will be less crowded. They remembered how much fun they had there last year. 

We also finished The Best Christmas Pageant Ever today and will start our new chapter book tomorrow. We also opened our bag for the day to see what book was in it and it was Great Joy by Kate DiCamillo. It was a new book we had never read and we all loved it and the illustrations were just beautiful. 

Also, this has nothing to do with our special things or Christmas, but I have to mention. Several years ago my daughter, Megan, gave me a swing for Christmas. She actually had it made from a piece of a tree that was cut down in my grandmother's yard. I loved my grandmother dearly and spent every summer with her until I got married. I remember sitting on her front porch and looking at that tree. She has been gone so long - the house sold and the tree in the front yard was cut down. Megan managed to get a log from the tree that was cut down and she had it made into a swing for me and I love it. Today my son, Joey, built a frame for it and put it up. As I look at that swing I think of my grandmother and all the summers I sat on the front porch with her. It was a wonderful gift. 





2 comments:

  1. I love the daily postings of your Christmas activities, and especially the story of the wood from your Grandma's tree. I was very close to my grandmother too, and was lucky to have her until she was 108 years old. I am especially happy to hear that Joey built that frame, as I have been wondering how he is doing. I still pray for him nightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers. I will give an update on him soon.

      Delete